Welcome!

My last short fiction instructor told us not to write about cancer. "It's been done," she said. Well, the hell with that. I learned in the last three weeks that I have stage III breast cancer. Writing, painting, and assorted other arts are how I process stuff, in addition, of course, to long conversations with friends. These conversations have begun in earnest these recent days, but I realized my Facebook page in particular was in danger of becoming a medical-update site. I do not want that. My life is still going to be about more than cancer, as much as that may not seem possible right now. Also, I don't want to alienate friends who are not ready to walk this particular valley with me at this time. For example, one elderly friend who called to cheer me up this week can't even handle the "c-word," and there is no way she will be up for any truly frank discussion of what's about to happen here. So she is advised to keep in touch with me via Facebook. People who are comfortable with the c-word, honest discussion and occasional cursing are welcome to join me here.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Mail call

No medical news to report.  Still have (some) hair, still feeling great!  Acquiring some awesome hats.  I have no chemo until a week from tomorrow.  So for now I thought I would share how much fun it has been recently to pick up the mail.  If there has been one good thing about this, it has been reconnecting with people.  Regular life in all its suburban busy-ness has taken a toll on some of my friendships, including one with a dear friend from college who lives 7 miles from here and whom I have seen once in two years, just because we both got busy.  Well, I'm seeing her now and it is wonderful.

Another friend, whom I lost via a divorce, contacted me and said events have made it patently clear to her that life is too short for such nonsense.  A friendship recovered!

I can't begin to share the notes and cards I've gotten, and some of them are personal in any case.  But here is a smattering of goodies from care packages that have arrived at my door in the last while:
Two really lovely books
Two really tasty lasagnas

Some purty-smelling bath items!

And a care package from Steve in Montana featuring huckleberry chocolates, huckleberry syrup, huckleberry gummy bears, huckleberry jam, and...wait for it...huckleberry vodka!  I did not even know that last item existed, but I am here to tell you it is a fine invention.  I am so blessed with love.  Thanks, guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment