Welcome!

My last short fiction instructor told us not to write about cancer. "It's been done," she said. Well, the hell with that. I learned in the last three weeks that I have stage III breast cancer. Writing, painting, and assorted other arts are how I process stuff, in addition, of course, to long conversations with friends. These conversations have begun in earnest these recent days, but I realized my Facebook page in particular was in danger of becoming a medical-update site. I do not want that. My life is still going to be about more than cancer, as much as that may not seem possible right now. Also, I don't want to alienate friends who are not ready to walk this particular valley with me at this time. For example, one elderly friend who called to cheer me up this week can't even handle the "c-word," and there is no way she will be up for any truly frank discussion of what's about to happen here. So she is advised to keep in touch with me via Facebook. People who are comfortable with the c-word, honest discussion and occasional cursing are welcome to join me here.

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Glass grizzly?

People are asking me why I call this the Glass Grizzly blog.  Nothing too symbolic there, really.  It's not supposed to mean that I feel brittle or fragile like glass, or any such thing.

Basically, I used to have an Etsy store (on online craft/art site Etsy.com) to sell jewelry.  I may do that again some time.  The name came from the fact that I'm a Grizzly (University of Montana graduate) and I make things out of glass.  It sort of stuck.

Other names I actually been called the last two weeks include:  Terminator; Mominator; Arnold (do I perceive a theme here?); Warrior Queen; shero; and my own personal favorite, Captain Badass!  I also find myself answering to Baldy, and soon, I suspect, Cue Ball!  Glass Grizzly doesn't sound too bad now, does it?

1 comment:

  1. Captain Badass! :) That's who you are to me. And I love the hat.

    ReplyDelete