Welcome!

My last short fiction instructor told us not to write about cancer. "It's been done," she said. Well, the hell with that. I learned in the last three weeks that I have stage III breast cancer. Writing, painting, and assorted other arts are how I process stuff, in addition, of course, to long conversations with friends. These conversations have begun in earnest these recent days, but I realized my Facebook page in particular was in danger of becoming a medical-update site. I do not want that. My life is still going to be about more than cancer, as much as that may not seem possible right now. Also, I don't want to alienate friends who are not ready to walk this particular valley with me at this time. For example, one elderly friend who called to cheer me up this week can't even handle the "c-word," and there is no way she will be up for any truly frank discussion of what's about to happen here. So she is advised to keep in touch with me via Facebook. People who are comfortable with the c-word, honest discussion and occasional cursing are welcome to join me here.

Thursday, May 2, 2013

The Tattooed Lady


                It has been a while since I checked in with you, but that is because not much was happening on the cancer front. I can now report that I got my tattoo yesterday! This was supposed to have happened some weeks ago, but it got postponed due to scheduling problems with my tattoo artist, Tina, and then I was in Montana for a while.
                To recap, my doctors have made me a new breast pretty much out of whole cloth. Since they took out the whole original one, they had to start from scratch. They stretched my own skin big enough to make one with the aid of a thing called a “tissue expander,” which they gradually pumped full of water and which set off the metal detector every single time I got on an airplane last year.  Then they took that thing out and replaced it with a garden-variety implant. Next, they did a skin graft and made me an origami nipple out of my own flesh and appliquéd it on there. Yesterday, it was time to color the little brown circle, or areola, on there. That’s where Tina came in.
                Tina owns the Tantric Tattoo and Boutique in Sandy Spring. But she also works with the Plastic Surgery Institute of Washington and my own surgeon, Dr. Kathy Huang, to reconstruct breasts for women like me. I asked her yesterday, while she was mixing her ink, how many of these she had done, and she said, “Thousands.”
                Tattooing one of these takes about an hour. Tina does the tattooing in the plastic surgeon’s office in North Bethesda.
                Now, back when I had discussed this tattoo procedure with Dr. Huang, I asked if there would be Novocain or something. She said since they had disconnected all the nerves when they did the mastectomy, I would not feel a thing. I told her I was pretty sure I was getting feeling back in that breast, and I told her there had better be Novocain or something, or I would arrange my own pain relief and that might get ugly. I have too many memories of doctors and technicians sticking needles into my breast the last two years, which hurts like hell, to sit there quietly while someone sticks a needle in my breast, over and over, for an hour, without medication.
                Dr. Huang and the nurse laughed and someone said I should get a margarita before I came in and everything would be fine. But then my appointment got moved to 10am and a margarita appeared unlikely. The Montana solution to this dilemma:  a hip flask full of huckleberry vodka, just in case.
                Well, don’t the Boy Scouts teach us it’s always good to be prepared? There was no Novocain or anything like it. So I went to the ladies’ room and tossed one back. As it turned out, that was a smart move, because getting a tattoo on your nipple hurts. A lot. When Tina began to “break up the skin,” as she put it, poking it with lots of holes so that the numbing spray she used would sink into the under layer of skin, I about jumped out of the chair. She was about half done when I called a time-out. This hurts, I said. It really hurts. What’s the deal with that?
                She said this was actually good news. It was unusual for this procedure to be painful, but what it meant was that my nerves are regenerating, and faster and better than expected. This bode well for me regaining some sensation in that breast, and what’s not to like about that? Meanwhile, Tina went and got some numbing cream that made it slightly less painful, and she was able to finish the job. I was pretty much cranky for the rest of the day. I laid off the vodka and switched to Advil, but it was sore.
                The good news: it really looks good, and that’s now, when the color is a little raw and overdone, and I still have that malformed nipple on there. When the color settles down a little and we fix that oversized nipple, it is going to be awesome. Much of the surgical scar is no longer visible, and the robo-boob now looks a lot like the other one. This is amazing to me. If I drink enough vodka one day, I might post before-and-after pictures, because the difference is astounding, but I hope that day never comes!
                That’s all until next time, when I will report on the Washington, DC, Race for the Cure! I bought an awesome pink cowboy hat in Montana for the occasion, but already the pink is literally chipping off in chunks. A fitting metaphor for the pinkwashing of America? Check out this article in the New York Times Magazine if you want to think long and hard about Komen, the way pink money is spent, and everything:

No comments:

Post a Comment