Welcome!

My last short fiction instructor told us not to write about cancer. "It's been done," she said. Well, the hell with that. I learned in the last three weeks that I have stage III breast cancer. Writing, painting, and assorted other arts are how I process stuff, in addition, of course, to long conversations with friends. These conversations have begun in earnest these recent days, but I realized my Facebook page in particular was in danger of becoming a medical-update site. I do not want that. My life is still going to be about more than cancer, as much as that may not seem possible right now. Also, I don't want to alienate friends who are not ready to walk this particular valley with me at this time. For example, one elderly friend who called to cheer me up this week can't even handle the "c-word," and there is no way she will be up for any truly frank discussion of what's about to happen here. So she is advised to keep in touch with me via Facebook. People who are comfortable with the c-word, honest discussion and occasional cursing are welcome to join me here.

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Avoiding lymphedema


                Finally, after a long year with many doctors’ appointments for both me and Matthew, things are settling down a little. The appointments are fewer and farther between. Last week, I saw my lead doctor, Dr. Colette Magnant, and she gave me the big thumbs-up and said come back in a year.  Of course, during that year, I will also see my medical oncologist a couple of times, and my radiation oncologist, and my plastic surgeon, and the research nurse who is administering the clinical trial I’m in, and probably others I’ve forgotten.

                I’m tolerating the drugs okay. The clinical-trial drug messes up my stomach, but nothing I can’t handle. The Tamoxifen has launched me into Crazy Menopause Land. Hot flashes? Yep! Emotional moments? You bet! I literally got weepy in the greeting card department at Target this morning. Oh, my. Crankiness?  What do you think? You got a problem with that? Screw you!

                It’s sort of like being a teenager. The highs are pretty high, and the lows are pretty low. I’m sure I’m delightful to be around. Have you ever been to Yellowstone? In some of the geyser basins, you have to walk on wooden boardwalks, because there is only a thin crust of earth over the thermal features. You break through that, and underneath it’s boiling water. There are beautiful crazy colors, but if you fall in, you’re done. That’s what I’m like, right now.

And then there is something called lymphedema. A few days ago, I had an appointment with a specialized therapist who is an expert in preventing lymphedema. Lymphedema is where part of you—in the case of breast cancer patients, it’s your arm--swells up because your lymphatic system is screwed up. Basically, if your body was a parking lot, the lymphatic system is like the storm drains.  They drain runoff from all your other parts. Unfortunately, they are the first place breast cancer spreads. When I had my mastectomy last August, my surgeon removed nine lymph nodes from my right side. That is approximately a third to a half of the lymph nodes that are supposed to take care of draining my right arm and the right halves of my chest and my back. If this whole quadrant doesn’t drain properly, your arm can swell up. I have been told I will have to be watchful of this the rest of my life. Once you have symptoms, it is very hard to get rid of them.

                So far, I haven’t had any problems. But they are worried about me because I am going to South Africa next month. It’s a long trip; one of the flights is 14 hours long. And on long flights, a person like me who is missing a bunch of lymph nodes can suddenly swell up like a balloon.

                What can you do about it?  Exercise and stretching help. I have totally been working on those. I’m supposed to drink gallons of water, so I hope the seatbelt sign isn’t on. I’m supposed to eat healthy food for three days before I fly. Salty stuff makes you swell up and fatty stuff clogs up the lymph nodes you’ve got left.

 And you can’t drink much alcohol. Unfortunately, as I believe I have mentioned, I have a phobia of heights. That includes the height of 34,000 feet. And I’m a little claustrophobic.  Airplanes combine my two best neuroses! Until now, I’ve been able to fly, thanks to a naughty combination of Xanax and white wine. But white wine is out now, so I may have to investigate new pharmaceuticals. I’m sure that if I end up like the woman in the movie Bridesmaids, my helpful children will post video on Facebook for everyone to enjoy.

                The most attractive thing they are advising me to do is to wear a compression sleeve and glove on my right arm and hand. It is pretty darned uncomfortable, and it is claustrophobic in a whole new way.

And I am here to tell you these items are not glamorous. The sleeve is a thing that looks like Spanx for your arm, but it’s made from a heavier-duty fabric. The sleeve squeezes your whole arm, from your wrist to your armpit. You also get a very tight glove made out of the same stuff. It is so hard to get on that they advise you to tug it on with those big blue textured-rubber gardening gloves. And it is about as attractive as you can imagine it would be, to wear a girdle all down your arm. And I’m sure it will improve my attitude immensely.

You can buy expensive, exotically colored compression sleeves that make you look like the blue people from Avatar. You can get ones that are colored like Mehndi henna tattoos.  I am tempted to take a Sharpie and design my own, something with barbed wire and buffalo skulls, that I could wear later to the Testicle Festival in Clinton, Montana. But I don’t want to get too wacky. I don’t want to get arrested.  I will already be setting off the TSA’s metal detectors with my robo-boob.  I’ll be making my airline seatmates nervous with my hot flashes and my grouchiness and my in-flight stretching exercises. They’ll see me tugging at my compression sleeve with big blue gardening gloves and wonder if I’m some new kind of bald female underwear bomber.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment